Tuesday, September 15, 2009

One week til it's my birthday

So we are celebrating early because in one week I will not be able to eat cake. I will not be able to enjoy a glass of wine, a margarita or champagne. I will not be able to eat my favorite foods all that day. I will not, I will not, I can not. You see I will be clear liquids only that day and as clear as some alcohol might be I wont be able to even have a sip to enjoy my ringing in of my last year of being in my 30's or to celebrate (I use that word with caution.) the surgery the very next day.
Oh the drama is building. I can feel it in my head and heart. I can imagine that y'all might think I am a bit crazy that my concern is that my birthday will SUCK this year but it's my birthday and I'll cry if I want too as the song goes. So I thought it might be fun to have you all share with me your poopiest....ha, ha! get it! birthday ever. It'll make me feel better.

Praying for a L-O-N-G small intestine!!!
ML

5 comments:

  1. Well, Happy Early Birthday! I hope you indulge in all the cocktails, cake, and food you want... after all, you more than deserve it! Praying for a long short intestine, with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came over from It's Almost Naptime...

    My college roommate and great friend has ulcerative colitis. While I can't say "I understand what you're going through," I can say "I'll pray for you next week when you have your surgery."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Bday - good luck and be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi from the UK! I had my colon removed this may due to Dukes B cancer after having UC for 26 years. I never got the dysplasia warning despite reg colonoscopies-just straight to cancer. I had my J pouch formed at the same time and have takedown 27th October. You will be fine! I have been reassured by this whole process and know that even should the J pouch fail I can lead a healthy happy life with a stoma. So lots of prayers and blessings being sent your way,Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  5. ML, I think you'll be surprised how good you will feel after surgery. I'm finding out that a lot of the problems I have been having recently aren't related to UC or the surgery, but the prednisone I was on. I hope my blog isn't freaking you out. My UC issues are 100% gone. You're right though, I think you'll have more challenges because you are a mommy. Lifting anything after surgery is a bad idea, but that's not for too long. You know your body better than anyone, so you'll know what you can and can't do. Bag leaks for me generally happened at night and pretty uncommon.. and I'm sure you've done a lot more research on bag options than I did. Obstructions never happened, chew your food bunches and follow the recommended diet (although I didn't really and still was ok). You'll still have freedom to do as you please with the ileostomy and after the takedown. Butt burn sucks, but I just remind myself that it'll pass. I still haven't had many trips to the restroom. The best way for me to explain it is the sensation that I have to go is present, but not urgent. Leaks are pretty much inevitable.. mainly at night for me. I just use a thin maxipad. I was freaking out pretty bad before my first surgery just because I didn't know what to expect and didn't have time to freak out about the takedown. I know the feeling, but can't imagine how hard it must be being a mom on top of that. You're a strong woman. I know you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete