Sunday, December 6, 2009

some days

UPDATED: note to self is RAW APPLES w/o skin make TUMMY HURT!



Some days are better than others I have found.
I sleep well and then I don't. I feel great and then I don't.
I am feeling mentally on my game and well....not so much.

Tuesday will be three weeks since my surgery date. Thursday is my first post operative visit with my surgeon. It will be nine weeks until my second surgery and five weeks until I can attempt to pick up my kids. I am looking forward to this week and all it has to offer.

Eating, well my appetite is slowly coming back. Right now I can eat and tolerate the following:
Applesauce
Yogurt
Boost
Water
Raw apples without skin
Homemade stew (mainly the broth and the potatoes in it)
White bread
White Rice
Noodles

The main idea is to chew, chew and chew the food so that nothing blocks my small intestine that is working.

I did in fact enjoy a very small piece of two year old birthday cake today to celebrate my son's birthday today.

The party today or lack of it weighed on me. I felt like he was being cheated with no celebration other than mommy, daddy, nana and sissy. It was a nice day and I know he loved all his new things. It just didn't meet the expectation of what I had hoped for. Meaning, I had greater dreams of his birthday with other little friends. But I knew weeks ago that wouldn't happen I knew it would be small, family only. But I didn't plan for how tired I would be and just how absent I would be from the day. I slept most of it. I feel like it was his special day and mommy didn't get to be apart of it all.

So again, some days.....some days are better than others.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad that some of your days are good/great, and I hope the other some days come fewer and farther between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're plugging along, ML. Just think of how far you've come! Mommy is home, and I'm sure that's all that is important to your son. Prayers sent up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hang in there girl - and I know that Travis had the best birthday he could possibly have imagined!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be sure not to eat any coconut-containing foods. I knew not to, but forgot and ate a Mounds candy bar, and was very sick and my ileostomy quit working for a while! Foods like that, and supposedly nuts, are no-no's during this time.

    It will go by fast, and you will feel much better soon. My nurse really helped a lot with the ostomy products, I'm sure you are finding the same thing. I really have a lot of respect and gratitude for the nurses who deal with all the (rather gross) things they must.

    Best wishes,

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there.....still thinking and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And on those not-so-good-days, don't beat yourself up over it! Two is a milestone, but its not going to even be a blip on his radar as he gets older. He will have many other birthdays, and having those smaller, intimate parties when they are young will work out well when he gets older - this way you don't have to keep out-doing yourself, and he won't have high expectations on the years when things are kept small for one reason or the other. I'm sorry you feel jipped, but you are healthy AND home, so keep focused on what you can do and have done, not what you missed out on. BIG (((HUGS))) to you my friend :)

    ReplyDelete